First Bedtime With Heather Away
9/27/14, Day 14,025 (Mercena Day 43): First Bedtime with Heather Away
Last night, Heather rode the subway for the first time in six weeks to check out 3 Christs by Peculiar Works at Judson (I saw it the previous night). Thyat meant that I had my first chance to put Mercena to sleep without the aid of Mom.
It went well, and now that she’s mostly outgrown her “changing diapers=rage, rage” phase, her major fuss-source is simply exhaustion. We still often assume that she should be awake longer than she really should be, extending our two-yawn rule to sneak in more with her when she has her eyes open. But if we don’t take the yawn as a cue, she is quick to marshal more persuasive forces to put her to bed. As soon as we do, she quickly quiets down, and, after a failed attempt or two at falling asleep, falls asleep.
It’s a good time for the three of us: no more reading every book and Googling ceaselessly to find new ways to deal with The Inscrutable Wail. And so it was a good goodnight for Dad Solo; though she fussed through Goodnight Moon, as soon as I sang to her and laid her swaddled self down, she was out for a solid sleep.
Which left me a quiet house in which to finish scene four of the still unnamed play about Taina and Marvin. I think I see how the play will end now, and I’m two scenes away from having finished two full-length plays in September. I don’t think it’s likely I’ll be all the way done by 9/30, but I’m feeling very grateful for this oddly productive month of writing.
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 151 out of 193 days (Taina and Marvin)
Spanish: 131 out of 193 days
Music: 55 out of 99 days
What small things did I do yesterday to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?”)
- Ate and cooked local, organic, vegetarian food, and used cloth diapers for Mercena;
- Asked Kroger to change their open carry gun laws;
- Asked the Army Corps of Engineers to make minor changes to their Smith Point County Park and the Fire Island Lighthouse Beach to protect endangered piping plovers;
- Asked the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration to strengthen laws that protect against rail car spills;
- Asked AOL to cut ties with the climate-change-denying ALEC.
Categories: Naming Days