Undone, and the Ungirdled Sea
3/19/14, Day, 13,910: Undone
This day is so named for Flux’s reading of Andrea Thome’s Undone as part of #3030NP, a US Latina/o theatre/NoPassport reading scheme. Beyond the awesomeness of the context, and the coolness of playing in the PRTT space, and the extraordinary cast…there was the beauty of Andrea’s script. One moment in particular will stay with me forever, a moment in the second act when Jefito helps Valentina slip through time and understand her mother in a viscerally compassionate way. Bravo and thank you to the whole team!
3/20/14, Day 13,911: Enter Gabe and Abe
This day is so named for the entrance of the final two characters into the play Word(s), the father and sun team of Gabe and Abe. The play, similar to The Sea Concerto, is concerned with the passing down and transformation of a legacy. I’m not sure why that’s on my mind these days, but I’m loving this new play.
3/21/14, Day 13,912: …the ungirdled sea. I can’t stop.
This day is so named for an excerpt of a poem from Kim Addonizio I read in my new Poetry magazine. It is only just know that I realized a poem from Kim also plays a significant role in my adaptation of Faust. I will clearly need to get to know her work better!
turns out words are no help.
But here I am with my shovel
digging like a fool
beside the spilth and splosh
of the the ungirdled sea. I can’t stop.”
-from Kim Addonizio’s Lives of the Poets
And yes, this is how writing often feels to me, as well, only lately, that “can’t stop” has felt much more like a foolish blessing than a foolish curse…
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 71 out of 81 days (Word(s))
Spanish: 70 out of 81 days
What small things did I do the past three days to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?”)
- For Flux, helped host the reading of Undone, built the blog post and Facebook event for Jane the Plain, and prepped for Flux Sunday;
- Asked Senate Democrats to support the nomination of Dr. Murthy for the Surgeon General;
- For TCG, shared the International and U.S. World Theatre Day messages and Arts Advocacy Day updates;
- Asked my members of Congress to reject HR 1459, which would make it more difficult for presidents to establish national monuments and preserve public lands;
- Cooked and ate all vegetarian meals (mostly organic, some local) and added no direct food waste (plastics bags, plastic water bottles, etc.);
- Asked Representative Meng to say no to H.R. 2824, which would make it easier for mining companies to pollute water supplies;
- Asked my Senators to support Senator Warren’s proposal to address the student loan debt crisis;