Take the Key Out Easy
2/24/14, Day 13,788: Take the Key Out Easy
This day is so named because when trying to let our Have Another rehearsal into The Sandbox, my new key wouldn’t work. I pushed harder and harder without success, thinking I could muscle my way through it. Then, the brilliant Ann Rahn said, “do you mind if I try?”, and with a deft movement, popped the door open.
Evidently, when a key is poorly made, you can’t fix it by muscling your way in. You need to gently pull outwards as you turn (that’s what he said). There is a life metaphor here, or perhaps a fortune cookie. Either way, Anna is probably James Bond, or at least MacGyver.
I also gratefully had the chance to rejoin the Mission to (dit)Mars Propulsion Lab, from which I have long been absent due to various conflicts. We heard scenes from exciting Kristine M. Reyes and David Lawson, as well as a hefty and helpful 30 page chunk of Angel Juice. Our conversation included a fascinating discussion about the balance between comedy and suspense within a comic thriller. When the characters know they are funny (aka, wit), the suspense dominates; when the characters don’t know they’re funny, the comedy is stronger…or at least that’s one discovery I made in the evening that might even turn out to be true…
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 49 out of 57 days (Angel Juice)
Spanish: 50 out of 57 days
What small things did I do the past day to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?”)
- Helped prepare for Flux’s Have Another;
- Signed a petition against the anti-gay laws in Uganda;
- Participated in the Mission to (dit)Mars Propulsion Lab;
- Signed another petition against Arizona’s proposed anti-LGBT* discrimination law (and another);
- Shared the announcement of our World Theatre Day message writers (and wish I could check out Brett Bailey’s work);
- Asked my state reps to ban the sale of ivory in New York;
- Thanked my rep Grace Meng for her signing onto HR20, the Government by the People Act;
- Signed a petition to Mark Zuckerberg to end Facebook’s relationship with the climate change-denying ALEC;