2/19/14, Day 13,783: Backstage at the Brick
This day is so named because yesterday our rehearsal for The Blood Brothers present…Bedlam Nightmares: Strapped In was in our actual performance space at The Brick Theatre. As I stood back stage going over my lines, I felt that old beautiful sensation of being backstage. When you’ve done theatre for a long time, and especially when, like me, you only act occasionally, that sensation can be particularly strong when you’re lucky enough to have it. For all the excitement of site-specific work, I think I’ll never lose that particular thrill of standing in that charged, threshold space.
Which is a good thing, because now I’m all the way sick and struggling to get through a week where I can’t call out of work or rehearsal, but have to power on through.
Yesterday was also my second day this week of writing Angel Juice one the train in and After Earth on the train home. The discipline of writing every day has paid off, and so far I’m able to enter to both of the worlds with ease…which is good, because my writing goals for this month are crazy…
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 46 out of 52 days (Angel Juice, After Earth)
Spanish: 46 out of 52 days (Though lately I’ve only been able to muster 10-20 minutes a day because of the imperative to learn my lines!)
What small things did I do the past day to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?”)
- Rehearsed the Blood Brothers show;
- Signed the Sanders’ petition to raise the minimum wage nationally;
- Posted Irma Mayorga’s #303NP post; shared Chandra Thomas’ Gender Parity post;
- Signed the Voting Rights Act petition heading to my Rep Grace Meng this morning;
- Cooked vegetarian meals (mostly organic and vegan, some local) and added no additional food waste (like plastic bags, plastic water bottles, etc.);
- Asked the Obama administration to bring back postal banking to serve people in banking deserts;