The Sea Concerto is Born (Again)
2/15/14, Day 13,799: The Sea Concerto is Born (Again)
This play is so named because I finished a first draft of The Sea Concerto. It will need a fair amount of work, but I’m thrilled to have it done and mostly in sound shape.
This is actually the second time I’ve titled a play The Sea Concerto. The second play I ever wrote–I believe it was my junior year in college, but it might have been my senior year–was also called The Sea Concerto, but it was a completely different play. There was a time years ago it seemed that play might be even be produced, but now it is lost to the ether–I think I have a copy or two in my records, but it is otherwise safely laid to rest and so this new play can take the title.
I also had my second rehearsal for the Blood Brothers’ Into the Life of Things, and discovered that my cast also includes Rebecca Comtois and Anna Rahn–hooray!
2/16/14, Day 13,780: And That Was Another Year
This day is so named from a line from The Sea Concerto, of which we read a sizable chunk today in Flux Sunday. It was really cool: with each year past in Lynnie’s big monologue, the actor passed the script to the next, so that we all shared the text. I have some work to do on the final Janet/Lynnie scene, but I do think the overall shape of the end of the play will work. It drained me some to listen to it…I think there’s something real in the pages, and that doesn’t always happen. I also hosted our first rehearsal for the next Have Another, and as I write this, I’m listening to a beautiful scene from Jason Tseng’s Apotheosis...
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 43 out of 49 days (The Sea Concerto complete!)
Spanish: 43 out of 49 days
What small things did I do the past three days to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?)
- Wrote to support human treatment of New York’s mute swan population;
- Composted, shopped at the organic farmer’s market, and cooked vegetarian meals (mostly organic, vegan and some local)
- Hosted Flux Sunday, hosted Have Another rehearsal and helped with planning for Have Another, posted about last week’s Flux Sunday;
- Asked my state legislators to support the National Popular Vote for President;
- Rehearsed Into the Life of Things; finished The Sea Concerto first draft;