(Why am I naming days?) (And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?).
10/28/13, Day 13,690: You’re in the King’s country now
This day is so named because last night we rehearsed The Fields of Blue and Glow for the Mission to (dit)Mars Launch Pad reading, and Heather led an energized, productive and fun 3+ hour rehearsal session (the day’s name is a line from the play, natch). I was able to make a few more clarifying cuts, and I’m hopeful that tonight’s reading (which is sold out, but you can RSVP for the wait list) will reveal a play that is now rehearsal ready.
That’s all the more important at a moment when I’m finding myself blessed with opportunities for rewrites: I’m rewriting Lightning Walks for the Lark’s Playwrights’ Group, Fields for MtD and Encryption for the Secret, as well as developing my Understand Our Ground piece for Flux. This isn’t leaving much time to work on my next play, Be Happy Be Happy Be Happy, which means I’ll once again fall short of my Play a Month goal. But, if I can finish BHX3 by the end of November, I’ll…well, I’ll be happy.
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 2 out of the last 2 days
Spanish: 2 out of the last 2 days
What small things did I do yesterday to help build the Honeycomb?
- I rehearsed The Fields of Blue and Glow.
- I worked on Understand Our Ground, both organizationally and creatively.
- I posted and shared this great essay from Madeline Sayet, launching TCG’s Mixed Race/Culture series.
- I ate vegetarian, including veggies from our local, organic CSA, and composted, creating no additional direct food waste from plastic bags, plastic bottles, or any other wasteful packaging.
- I made progress on programming and language for both TCG’s Fall Forum and our 2014 National Conference in San Diego.
- I made progress on messaging TCG’s Diversity & Inclusion Initiative, including posting this great Field Report from Children’s Theatre Company and Jackie Lawton.
- I reached to several Network of Ensemble Theater members to schedule meetings about how NET can more deeply engage with and support their work.
- I asked Russian Ambassador to the U.S., Sergey Kislyak, to release the Greenpeace activists currently imprisoned for a peaceful environmental protest.
- I submitted a public comment asking BOEM to keep oil drills out of the Chukchi Sea.