8/22/14, Day, 13,989 (Mercena Day 8): Mercena’s First Week
It’s hard to believe it’s only/already been a week. Was there really ever a time this strange and beautiful creature wasn’t the center of our lives? And like any anniversary celebration, there was drama and excitement a-plenty.
We began by staging this silliness:
If only we had enough small rubber ducks to really represent her whole journey over the coming weeks…oh right (#WillLowry).
After a morning with Mommom, Mercena got to meet many of her Schulenburg Aunts and Uncles: Allan and Sarah, Zack and a returning Aunt Marnie.
Uncle Allan had some serious bonding time.
Uncle Zack not only had some good bonding time, but very nearly successfully initiated a game of “Bible-opoly,” a game we received as a gag after Jacob’s House and never played. Maybe next visit!
She slept through almost the entire visit, allowing us to play a game of hilariously-exhausted cribbage and regale our captive audience with our birth story. Then after a brief but excited awake time, she had became over-stimulated and had a rather spectacular meltdown.
Then, with everyone gone, we had some peaceful times before a spectacular midnight vomit freaked us all out. Thankfully, she fed again and seemed completely recovered.
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 125 out of 158 days
Spanish: 115 out of 158 days
Music: 28 out of 63 days
What small things did I do yesterday to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?”)
- Ate and cooked local, organic, vegetarian food, and used cloth diapers for Mercena;
- Asked the UN to bring allegations of slavery against ISIS to the International Criminal Court;
- Asked the Army Corps of Engineers to reject Green Hunter’s plan for a fracking waste loading dock on the Ohio River;
- Asked the U.S. representatives to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species to advocate for strong protections for key species;
- Asked Google to take the dump-ALEC challenge (Microsoft did it);
- Asked the FWS to add northern long-eared bats to the endangered lists now.