Mercena Day Six; or, Just the Three of Us
8/20/14, Day, 13,987 (Mercena Day 6): Mercena, Day Six; or, Just the Three of Us
Now, do not for one second think that this means you shouldn’t come and visit us: please do. And we’ve been exceedingly grateful for the visits and support thus far.
But yesterday we had a beautiful day with just the three of us and nowhere to go. The sad thing is, there probably won’t be too many of these days in our lives, because of work, of Flux, of our lives as artists, and our general inclination as Homo New Yorkus to always be in motion, a searching that is especially keen in Mercena’s parents and so will likely be keen for her, too.
But yesterday was as peaceful and lovely as a day with a newborn can be. We’ve begun to found a rhythm that works, and her intervals of sleep are getting longer. I even had enough time to write!
Some memories to keep from the day:
- Our morning time together in the bed where she lies between us as we work on our computers (and where I’m writing this now);
- Her first extended time on our little terrace, all bundled up against the cool breeze;
- Cooking Heather these juevos rancheros:
- Becoming a father has stoked my inner chef, and awakened an inner house cleaner I didn’t know existed within me;
- Even though the house is probably cleaner than it’s ever been since we moved in, you might not notice that among all the new gadgets. Babies, as it turns out, require many gadgets. Yesterday, we installed the cloth diaper spray that allows you to get the worst of the poop off the diapers, and took the moby for a test drive;
- Reading to her in Spanish (look at how interested she is in learning another language!):
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 125 out of 156 days
Spanish: 113 out of 156 days
Music: 26 out of 61 days
What small things did I do yesterday to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?”)
- Asked the FCC to block the Time Warner and Comcast cable merger;
- Ate and cooked local, organic, vegetarian food, and used cloth diapers for Mercena;