2/5/14, Day 13,790: Super Women + Beauty Queens = Healing
This day is so named for Aja Houston’s play Super Women + Beauty Queens = World Peace, for which I had the pleasure of hosting a private reading of last night. I’ve enjoyed this play as she brought in scenes to Flux Sunday, and it was great to hear it all together. While the play wrestles with issues of self-worth, family legacy and mental illness, it does so with warmth and a zany humor that is, as one actor put it, healing. It’s rare enough to find a comedy that’s both smart enough and sincere enough to really heal, and as we discussed afterwards, it is especially so for a play written entirely for women of color, who are usually competing against each other for a single role defined by oppression and loss. Congrats to Aja for the great progress she’s made with this play, and my gratitude to the actors for giving such joyful readings last night, and for letting me listen.
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 33 out of 38 days (The Sea Concerto)
Spanish: 34 out of 38 days
What small things did I do yesterday to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?)
- Hosted the private reading of Aja’s play;
- Signed my support for the Family And Medical Insurance Leave Act;
- For TCG, shared/posted/facilitated this fantastic post on disability in the arts; and this post on DTC’s impressive Project Discovery education program; sent the eblast to launch National Conference registration;
- Asked NBC to report on the LGBT* crisis in Russia during their coverage of the Olympics
- Had coffee with Japanese playwright and theatre-maker Satoshi Oshio, who is studying theatre here in NYC and interviewing various U.S. playwrights about theatre in America;
- Signed another petition in support of the Government by the People Act;
- Cooked all my meals vegetarian (mostly organic, some local) and added no additional waste (plastic bags, etc.)
- Asked Obama to cancel all future drilling licenses in the Chukchi sea and other Arctic areas