1/20/14, Day 13,774: Devising the Devising of Faust
This day is so named because we tried a new devising technique at Faust, and it was really interesting and I think ultimately successful. In addition to the more physically-driven devising, I’ve been searching for a character-driven process to create the rehearsal-frame for our play-within-a-play approach (one that Goethe uses, as well, though not throughout the entire play). Working with director Marielle, we created prompts for the actor-characters– secrets, relationships, contexts–and then had them rehearse as their actor-characters. The results were uncomfortable, tense and dramatically fascinating. I’m looking forward to continuing to explore this tactic as a way of devising within a more traditional, Stanislavsky-frame.
1/21/14, Day 13,775: A Sea Concerto on a Train
This day is so named because I again was able to write on the my morning commute. With my little laptop, I cram into a corner and type away. I wasn’t sure that’d I’d be able to write in a place of such distraction, but it seems to go well–four pages yesterday–and it has been a huge tactical advantage in meeting my goal of writing every day.
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 18 out of 21 days (The Sea Concerto, Faust)
Spanish: 19 out of 21 days
What small things did I do the past two days to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?)
- Wrote for our Faust devised process
- Asked Coca-Cola and other Olympics sponsors to Support Olympic Principal 6, especially after the first anti-gay arrest was made
- Shared the amazing photos from Flux’s last benefit
- Petitioned U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin to hold Freedom Industries accountable for the chemical spill in West Virginia.
- Ate vegetarian
- Hosted and participated in Flux’s next rehearsal for Once Upon A Bride There Was A Forest, and wrote and shared a post about it
- Asked the CEO of Northern Dynasty Minerals to not build the environmentally destructive Pebble Mine
- Promoted the first round recipients of TCG’s Audience (R)Evolution grant program
- Created the page for my poetry project, Book of Hours