1/14/14, Day 13,768: Flux Meeting, Then 1-Minute Plays
This day is so (prosaically named) for the the 1-minute play festival that featured Heather directing many dear friends, and for the Flux meeting that preceded it, where over fancy diner food we planned the next six months. I really can’t express how happy Flux is making me these days, and I don’t take for granted a single second.
1/15/14, Day 13,769: The Sound of Old Maid
This day is so named for the meeting with Sasha, our sound designer for the film Old Maid, with Sol, Mike and myself. I think we all wish that the process of making this film could move more swiftly, but there is also something to be said for taking this time, as my understanding of the story Sol is telling continues to deepen and grow.
1/16/14, Day 13,770: Reading Once Upon A Bride There Was A Forest
This day is so named for our first read-through of Once Upon A Bride There Was A Forest. I love this play, and I love sitting in a room of Creative Partners and being impressed with each new scene by how they’re bringing their best. This is going to be a hell of a stage reading, y’all.
1/17/14, Day 13,771: First Faust Rehearsal of 2014
Clearly I’m not feeling all that creative with the day naming this week! (Sometimes direct is the right direction.) This day, as you might expect, is in fact so named for our first Faust rehearsal of 2014. I have ceased my exploratory scene-making, and have begun writing pages towards a first draft. It’s a pleasure to write for these voices, and though I feel a great deal of uncertainty about the frame we’ve chosen (a super-naturalism juxtaposed against a poetic expressionism), I’m also excited to see whether or not it works out.
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 14 out of 17 days (The Sea Concerto, Faust)
Spanish: 15 out of 17 days
I’m frustrated that I lost two days this week on my writing streak. It was due to exhaustion, which is as good an excuse as any, but there is always time in the day, even if it’s just half an hour, if I can claw it out of all my other obligations. I’m doing better than last year, and maybe by the end of 2014 I’ll have finally mastered all the tricks to really be able to write every day.
What small things did I do the past four days to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?)
- Posted/shared TCG Circle posts on Common Core and Arts Education, Pig Iron’s collaboration in Thailand, and the 3030 Latin@ reading scheme
- Shared my political priorities with the Progressive Change Campaign Committee.
- Organized a Flux meeting and hosted the Once Upon A Bride rehearsal
- Once again asked Republican leadership to stop blocking the extension of Unemployment Insurance
- Wrote for and participated in the Faust rehearsal
- Asked Secretary Kerry to refute flawed arguments for the Keystone pipeline
- Supported the 1-minute play festival, New Georges and my friends as an audience member
- Asked President Obama to remove any cuts to Social Security or Medicare from his budget and State of the Union address
- Ate vegetarian meals and reused all containers
- Encouraged Team USA to join out & proud snowboarder Belle to voice support for LGBTQI peoples in Russia