Riding the Late Night Scooter
Day 13,523: Day of the Late Night Scooter (Why am I naming days?) (And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?)
Yesterday, I worked at TCG from 9:00am to around 10:30pm–not anywhere near my longest TCG day on record, but not too shabby, either. I survived the 13+ hour day in surprisingly good spirits, in part due to feeling a strong sense of purpose in the work, and in part due to the similar stamina and passion of some of my co-workers.
But what really got me through the day?
My former colleague Jenni Werner survived Conference-time in part by purchasing several office scooters, those foot-powered pretties that abound in Google offices. I promised myself that if I could make it past 10pm, I’d allow myself a joyride through the office. And there is something so silly about a grown man careening around an office on a scooter that made me laugh all day thinking about it, and then laugh even harder as I did my speedy, late-night laps.
I share this because no amount of building the honeycomb is worth losing that sense of absurd, joyful, child-like play; without it, burn out and bitterness are just around the corner. Hence, Day of the Late Night Scooter.
What other small things did I do yesterday to help build the Honeycomb?
- I located a nearby plastic bag recycling center to recycle the plastic bags in which my New York Times weekend subscription is delivered (I try to avoid all other plastic bags, which can make for an amusing challenge in NYC). Though I also recycle the newspaper itself, I’m not sure any print subscription is environmentally justifiable–any green folks out there with thoughts on this?
- I sent the following petition to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono of Indonesia, Minister of Forestry Zulkifli Hasan, and Governor of Aceh Zaini Abdullah: As concerned citizens we urge you to reject the plan to cut down protected rainforests in Aceh.
- I shared this amazing news–go Minnesota!: Every single one of your friends needs to see today’s amazing news and join the push for equality in all 50 states. Share the image below on Facebook!
- I took time to thank in person a co-worker who celebrated a major milestone last night for his huge contributions to TCG, playwrights and the theatre field.
- I took action now to tell the North Pacific Fishery Management Council to establish the North Pacific’s first marine reserves and protect the Grand Canyons of the sea from damaging, shortsighted fishing practices.
- I posted more additions to the TCG Circle’s Artistic Innovation and Diversity & Inclusion series, and a new post about our awesome Global Connections program.
- I contacted my Senator to tell them to support strong conservation compliance provisions in the 2013 Farm Bill.
- I told a friend that took a break from social media after a rough patch that I was glad to see him back (and I am).
- I ate vegetarian (this one’s easy, as I’ve been doing it for the last 16 years, but it’s important to acknowledge because if everyone else did, too, it would make a profound difference to our planet’s sustainability. Also, this.)
And now it’s another day…scoot on.